Foreign and Trade Minister Peter Szijjarto said on Friday that the construction phase of the PaksII nuclear power plant could start in September after talks with Rosatom head Alexey Likhachev in Istanbul. He said all outstanding issues had been resolved ahead of the new phase.
Rosatom is providing the necessary documents for four more permits from the National Office of Nuclear Energy (OAH) before construction can begin, the ministry said in a statement.
"If everything goes according to today's agreement, it is entirely possible that the next phase will start in September," the ministry quoted Szijjarto as saying. He said the goal was to have two new units operational by 2030, increasing the plant's capacity from 2,000MW to 4,400MW.